Thursday, November 14, 2013

Three Hits and a Near Miss

If your experience of higher education was anything like mine, you probably took courses that sounded great in the catalogue, then failed in small or huge ways to live up to the promise. History of Jazz was like that for me, a course taught, it turned out, by a non-musician, and aimed at non-musicians. I learned little I didn't already know from being in jazz ensembles. It wasn't until I took Doug Goodkin's Jazz Course that I developed a true appreciation for the history and literature of jazz. I had appreciated jazz for most of my life, but it took Doug's unique Orff twist to make me love it. 

You may also have had the experience of reluctantly enrolling in a class to fulfill a requirement, or because nothing you want is open, and having that class transform your life. Such was the case with a class I took during my final year of seminary on the theology of Reinhold Niebuhr. My eyes were opened, and suddenly I understood why the world works the way it does. 

Today I attended four workshops. The first, on Cajun dance, was a rousing way to start the day, but fell far short of what I'd hoped: a true Orff approach to introducing this music to children. Instead, I got a boilerplate folk dance class: fun, but not that useful. This was followed by a workshop with Lorna Heyge, an early childhood expert who turned my expectations on their head. Apart from showing me techniques for reaching my feral kindergartners, Lorna said this: "The child's answer is never wrong. The teacher's question is frequently wrong." Right there I had a learning-centered platform from which to teach all my students. 

The afternoon had me in a session on rounds and partner songs that I will put to use immediately, but it wasn't especially revolutionary.  What followed, though, again shifted my perspective on what I do very day. Rick Layton was one of my Level II instructors at the San Francisco School, and I remember him saying and doing many things I wanted to incorporate into my teaching style. Unfortunately, it took me three years to get back into an elementary classroom, and much of what I learned then faded. When I arrived at his session, and realized it was going to be on teaching middle school students to improvise on the alto recorder to Renaissance melodies, I briefly considered looking for something more applicable to my situation. My oldest students are fifth graders, and I've only got toe more months with them before I change schools--barely enough time for the soprano recorder unit I'm starting next week, let alone introducing altos! Something told me to stay put, though, and I'm glad I did, as Rick reminded me of just why those kids keep playing mallets when I need to talk to them: they're practicing. Sure, it's frustrating at times, but do I really want to stop them from making music so I can dictate how to do it right? Well, actually I do, but I clearly need to give them more time to play, experiment, explore, mad create. That is, after all, one of the things that sets Orff apart. 

It's been a long, wonderful day. I've got more to say, but not now. This first timer needs some sleep. Tomorrow is another day. 

Viva la musica!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds exactly like a typical Orff conference day! So glad you got those inspirations! And I LOVE Rick! He's one of my idols! (My level II instructor as well) I brought him to POSA when I was prez.

    ReplyDelete